- The Nechalacho deposit is rich in the heavy rare earths, which the European Union identified as the critical raw material with the greatest supply risk in May 2014. The high-grade, HREE-rich resource in the Basal Zone of the Nechalacho deposit contains Measured and Indicated Resources of 61.90 million tonnes grading 1.64% TREO (total rare earth oxides) and 21.53% HREO/TREO (heavy rare earth oxides as a percentage of TREO) at the Base Case US$345 Net Metal Return cut-off value. For additional information, see the News Release dated August 15, 2013 and entitled "Avalon Reports on Summer Work Program at the Nechalacho Rare Earth Elements Project and Provides Mineral Resource Update."
- Avalon has invested approximately $100 million into the Nechalacho Project to date, including $60 million to complete a comprehensive Feasibility Study. Nechalacho is now the most advanced heavy rare earth project in the world outside of China. Results of the discounted cash flow analysis produced for the April 2013 Feasibility Study yielded a pre-tax IRR of 22.5% and an NPV at a 10% discount rate of $1.35 billion, with a payback period of 4.3 years and a $1.575 billion capital cost. For additional information, see the technical report entitled “Technical Report Disclosing the Results of the Feasibility Study of the Nechalacho Rare Earth Elements Project” dated May 31, 2013 and effective April 17, 2013
- Many opportunities were identified in the April 2013 Feasibility Study to optimize the project development model to reduce technical risk and increase revenues. These include improving rare earth recoveries and revising the mine plan to improve operational efficiencies. The most significant optimization was the development of a new hydrometallurgical process that increases recoveries of the heavy rare earths while suppressing recovery of low-value cerium. An updated Feasibility Study is now being prepared.
- Avalon holds a diverse rare metals project portfolio, including advanced tin (East Kemptville) and lithium minerals (Separation Rapids) properties.
- The principles of sustainability, environmental and social responsibility are core values of the company.